Submit your app for review
When your app is ready to be distributed to Thinkific course creators. You can submit it for approval to Thinkific.
Approved apps can gain access to the following opportunities:
- An app listing in the Thinkific App Store
- Access to co-marketing opportunities with Thinkific to our customer base.
Note: You do not need to submit your app for approval if it is a Private App. Private Apps can still be installed on customer accounts, but they will not be publicly listed on the Thinkific App Store. If you would like your app to benefit from the visibility that comes with being listed on the Thinkific App Store, we encourage you to submit your app for approval!
To ensure we maintain a quality of excellence for our course creators, we review any apps that will be available to them in the Thinkific App Store.
This guide provides some helpful tips on how to make sure your app is approved and the exciting journey ahead.
- Apps that function via standalone software which need to be downloaded by course creators to function are prohibited. This includes mobile apps for installation on Android and iOS devices.
- Apps that offer any financial services such as loans to course creators are prohibited.
- Apps that take payment off Thinkific's platform for any sales of digital learning experiences are subject to additional order and transaction data reporting and partnership requirements. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further
- Apps that allow course creators to build their own mobile app for their site are prohibited.
- Apps that do not use Thinkific’s APIs, webhooks or Theme Extension capabilities are prohibited. There must be meaningful additional value in using the app software as a Thinkific app vs. on its own.
- Apps can enhance our site builder or community experiences. If you want to provide an entirely alternative experience, please reach out to email@example.com to discuss further.
- Apps can have access to customer and student data if it is required to add value for the customer use case, but they cannot restrict Thinkific’s access to it. These include:
- Course Creator account information
- Student account information including course progress
- Course content: Apps cannot take course content outside of Thinkific (the Teaching API is still available to apps as long as the use case does not take the experience outside of Thinkific).
- Apps must provide an excellent User Experience for our customers and provide clear onboarding and instructions for how they can derive value from using the app with Thinkific. Please read the User Experience guidelines carefully. They will not only ensure your app is approved, but also maximize the chances of your app being successful in the Thinkific App Store.
- Apps must not cause any performance issues for Thinkific course creators. Site speed considerations will also be very important for Thinkific.
- Your app must be stable and not introduce bugs into the Thinkific experience.
- Your app must be able to handle large data sets efficiently where relevant (e.g. sync 10k users via the API). Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you need access to sites with test data.
- Your app must store salted password hashes instead of actual passwords, as described on OWASP.
- Your app must be protected against cross-site request forgery attacks, cross-site scripting attacks, and other security vulnerabilities.
- Your app must be served over HTTPS using a valid SSL certificate.
- Your app must not process payments or orders outside of Thinkific’s checkout.
- Your app must not access data it doesn’t require for its intended purpose
- If your app is used by course creators in Europe, or course creators with buyers based in Europe, then it's your responsibility to make sure that your app is GDPR compliant.
- Your app must have adequate systems in place to ensure customers data is stored securely and safely.
- Your app must be Authenticated via the OAuth method, and function properly after a 24hr interval using a refreshing token.
- Users must be taken to the Oauth consent page before creating any accounts associated with the app.
- Installation must function on custom domains.
- Your app must cease to function when uninstalled and all scripts and code removed. It must then be able to be reinstalled and function properly.
- Your app must include clear instructions to help your customers set it up and onboard properly. (See ‘App Documentation’ and ‘User Experience guidelines’).
- You must provide a functioning install link with which to test your app, along with any necessary credentials.
- In order for your app to be listed on the Thinkific App Store, you’ll need to provide us with adequate information about your app and brand-approved screenshots showing your app being used with Thinkific. Your app listing tells the story of your app to course creators. What problem are you solving for them? What additional functionality are you providing to their students? Ultimately, why should they install your app? Be sure to follow the guidelines & suggestions in the Thinkific App Store Listing Typeform for an optimal app listing.
- All images and copy throughout the installation process must be complete and accurate, including on the Thinkific authentication page.
- It is important that you have a process in place to provide continued support to your app to ensure customers receive the help they need. Any quality issues and bugs surfaced by customers must be resolved in a timely manner. A contact email address or form is required for the app listing.
- In depth help documentation should be linked from within the app dashboard and easily accessible by users of the app.
Follow this process in order to submit your app to the Thinkific App Store.
- Test your app on a sandbox site to eliminate any bugs
- Self-assess your app against our User Experience guidelines
- We strongly recommend you also carry out customer beta testing (See our guidelines here).
- Provide all required information in the App Submission application for our team to review. Be sure to include any login credential necessary so that our team can test the app fully.
- In parallel, you can submit your app listing materials via the App Listing form.
- Our team will review your submission and conduct User Experience, quality and security reviews.
- A member of our team will be in touch to provide any feedback and required changes for approval.
- If your app is not approved, you can resubmit it again after addressing the requirements from your feedback.
- Once an app and its listing copy have been approved, we will work with you to develop a co-marketing plan and launch the app in the Thinkific App Store.
Thinkific reserves the right to remove your app and uninstall it from all active sites if it is found to be in violation of any of these guidelines before or after approval.